Wednesday 28 January 2015

Kiwi Hospitality


Well who would have thought it. After multiple trips into the depths of Africa and remote mountain journeys in and above the jungles of South America, I end up getting what has felt like my worst ever 'travel bug' here in the civilised, clean and pleasant land of New Zealand! 

However, what better place for feel a bit crook for a few days, as once again the legendary Kiwi hospitality trait has left us feeling humbled and unbelievably greatful. This time it's completely off the scale of being nice though! Our hosts last night (despite going away on a hiking trip tonight) have suggested that as I don't look like I ought be off sea kayaking just yet, we should stay in their house until I'm better! Apparently we have trust worthy faces?! Could you imagine letting a couple of strangers look after your house after meeting them for an evening?! Although the offer is unnecessarily generous, we have of course accepted and I'm already feeling much better. And who wouldn't when this is a few minutes down the road...


After a hearty breakfast of dry toast (for me), we took ourselves off to the nearby beach to check out the local neighbourhood. The place is totally stunning. And compared to the southern end of the Abel Tasman National Park, pretty much deserted. The closest beach in Golden Bay is only a few minutes drive from the house, but just past it is Tata Beach (see photo below).


And a few minutes beyond that, we found ourselves at Wainui Bay and where we hope to kayak across at some point.


After checking out the kayak hire situation for future reference, and deciding not to hike up to waterfall we returned to the beach. Clare went for a dip, but I had to be content with a dip of my toes. 




I went back to the pad for an afternoon siesta while Clare went into Takaka to have a look around what I'm told is a very funky town with a very fine smoothie cafe.
And now here we are, house sitting this beautiful home. How does this happen to us?! Very very greatful...

1 comment: