Tuesday 28 October 2014

Wave hunting on the West Coast

The surf phase continues... You've got to be there to find out. Unfortunately, an early(ish) start from The Cottage to catch the tide at a certain beach almost proved fruit-less this morning. As calculated, the bay was nice and sheltered, but sadly without any real waves to surf! After a particularly refreshing walk along the deserted sandy beach, we decided to get in at a different spot. Having got up and out from a nice warm cosy bed, into a grey windy day, we thought we should at least get some exercise. 

As always, the waves turned out to be bigger than they looked from the van, and it was certainly worth getting in. It was much more of a work out than a surf session for me, but Clare, once again was ruling the waves. Steep drop ins and quick turns were required. We both took a few tumbles, but nothing as rowdy as previous days. Disaster only struck as I was about to get out - a final tumble in a wave and my surf board fin cut right through the leg of my lovely wetsuit! Nooooo! Being the optimist that I am though, I guess I'll just have to be glad that the wetsuit took the pain, and it didn't chop my leg off...

View from the van - sheltering from the on shore gale

No comments:

Post a Comment